A former garden editor for a daily newspaper in Austin, Texas, Gretchen Heber goes through entirely too many garden gloves in a year’s time. It’s a gift request her family can count on without fail every birthday and Christmas, year after year.
Though she’s called Austin home for a quarter-century, Gretchen arrived in the Lone Star State circuitously, having lived first in northern, central, and southern California, as well as central Kentucky. Along the way, she joyfully and wholeheartedly absorbed the horticultural distinctiveness of each region.
Gretchen has never met a succulent she didn’t like and gets really irritated every 3-4 years when Austin actually has a freeze cold enough to kill them. Oh well, time for another trip to the garden store!
With nearly 60 trees on her tiny suburban lot, and barely a blade of grass remaining after years of gradual conversion from lawn to beds, Gretchen spends a great deal of time outside — even in July, when temperatures top 100 degrees — trimming, weeding, and planting. She loves every minute of it.
Nothing makes her happier than rushing out to her beds to cut sublimely flavored fresh herbs to add to whatever’s bubbling on the stove.
When Gretchen is not gardening, three teenage boys keep her running to various schools and sports activities. The need to feed these boys means that she writes not only about the natural world, but of apps for cardiology, LED lights, and Apple computers, as well.
To Gretchen, Mother Nature’s magnanimous gifts are to be celebrated and revered — something she’s more than happy to do weekend after weekend.
- How to Grow Leeks
- How to Harvest Cabbage
- How to Grow Collard Greens, A Taste of Southern Culture
- How to Grow and Use Epazote Herb
- Your Fall Tree Planting Guide
- How to Keep Kale from Wilting in the Garden
- How to Plant A Southern Fall Vegetable Garden
- How to Propagate American Beautyberries
- Why Autumn is the Best Time for Planting Shrubs
- Prettier Than its Namesake: How to Grow Bat-faced Cuphea
- How to Grow and Care for American Beautyberry Shrubs
- How to Grow Turpentine Bush: the Desert Dazzler